Wrong. This building was built in 1870 by insurance agent Josiah Luce at the same time as the adjacent Thiel double building (508-512 West Water). Luce sold the building to the Teske brothers in 1875 with the stipulation that he could retain his office in the front room upstairs for five years. Luce had served as sheriff of Marquette County, before Green Lake County was carved out of it, and had accumulated some wealth and property with the insurance business, but, according to the Princeton Republic, “extravagance and bad habits” eventually cost him his family and business. He committed suicide in 1878, the same day the last of his property was sold at a sheriff’s auction, by ingesting jelly he had laced with morphine.

One comment

Leave a Reply