LORDS OF BEANTOWN

This vintage photo, circa 1900, from the collection of Herman E. Megow, an early Princeton entrepreneur and photographer, shows a group of local businessmen posing for a hunting club photo with three of their dogs in Megow’s third-floor gallery at 545 West Water Street (today part of Megow Park).

The men are, from left, saloon owner Oscar Tassler, who lost his right hand when he worked for the railroad, with his dog Tinker in the chair in front of him; Gus Weinkauf, who had a jewelry store with Lee Whittemore on the first floor of the Megow building; Ed Manthey, who operated a general store at 514 West Water; cigarmaker Albert Ziebell, who founded what became the Miller Cigar Company west of the Yahr Castle on the west side; and saloon owner Emil Klawitter, with his dog on his lap, who had a saloon at 538 West Water; and Otto Maulick, barber and saloon owner, who cut hair at 515 West Water and ran a saloon at 440 West Water.

Leave a Reply